Tuesday, May 24, 2011

a CoMpLiMeNt Is TaKeN

  i'm pretty popular in my neighborhood, if i do say so myself. i try not to let it get to my head. I think it's like when the foreign exchange student arrives at your school; it doesn't exactly matter what she/he looks like/thinks like/ does, they're different, and noticeable.
  it's a common occurrence for me to walk down the street and get some attention from the gentlemen who pass by, or sit on their stoops in the afternoon sunshine. when was younger, i'd shy away from the comments and catcalls, simply bowing my head and shuffling away. i've come to realize, however, that most of the time, it's harmless. A 'hey beautiful" or a "miss, you're gorgeous..." can be taken different ways, and i choose to smile, say thank you, and continue walking. i don't really feel like unnecessarily pissing people off, and it ends more smoothly than trying to argue.
   so a few weeks ago, i took a walk to the local Walgreen's, or "wags, " as it's affectionately known to some. it's really the mecca of everything for me in my neighborhood - it's sort of the only chain-y type store around, which makes me feel a loving connection to my suburban roots. kind of sick, isn't it. a beautiful and sunny bushwick day embraced my walk a few blocks away, and i felt a smile on my face and in my heart.
   almost there, and i heard a deep voice call out after me, "I like that, that's real pretty." And so i turned, flipped my hair over one shoulder, and beamed my most effective smile. "Thanks!" And standing there, at about 6'1", was a....woman, in overalls.  I froze  in place as we made eye contact, and she "mmm'd."

  Politeness above all else,right? So I turned slowly, and slipped in to Walgreen's to stare at the shampoo for a while.

Much love... <>*$dIaMoNd*$<>

No comments:

Post a Comment